HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Dynamic Texture Banks Diffuse Path not clear  (Read 1933 times)

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
Dynamic Texture Banks Diffuse Path not clear
« on: Feb 03, 17, 07:29:47 PM »

Console error when trying to load the part in the charactermanager:
ERROR:System:ERROR: Not found (0xFACE000F) loading resource: /dt2_human_female_ranger_upper_body_shirt

or this with the full path:

ERROR:System:ERROR: Not found (0xFACE000F) loading resource: /character/dynamic_2/texturebanks/human_female_ranger_upper_body_shirt/dt2_human_female_ranger_upper_body_shirt

http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Dynamic_Texture_Banks

My .par includes:

[Banks]
human_female_ranger_upper_body_shirt

and the folder human_female_ranger_upper_body_shirt exists within the dynamic_2/texturebank folder.

My question is what path do I actually set the diffuse to?
The wiki seems to suggest you only fill in:
dt2_human_female_ranger_upper_body_shirt

Any input is appreciated.

Also the example link no longer works on the wiki:
Download Link: DynamicCharacterSampleFiles.zip

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 17, 07:32:46 PM by nocake »

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Dynamic Texture Banks Diffuse Path not clear
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 17, 08:43:32 PM »

They way it works, is you set the texture name in Max or Maya. The texture name in Max is ~dt2_texture_name and in Maya it is dt2_texture_name. The texture should be in the HE/Character/Dynamic_2/Texturebanks/texture_name/ folder.

So as you can see, the name of the texture has the dt2_ in it, but the actual texturebanks folder does not.
Put the texture in your folder and create the texture_name.dtb file with it.

Check out the files I made for the character a long time ago in your repositiry, the /s_hum_fem_body/ and the /s_hum_fem_head/ folders should be a good enough example to show you how it works and how to set up the .DTB file.

If you need any more help just let me know.  :)

Edit: I forgot to mention, the name of the texture itself doesn't need the dt2_ in the name, it is selected in Max or Maya in the Material editor, and additional textures are added in the .DTB file. dt2_ is the Material name. Also, it's best to put _d at the end of the diffuse texture, for example:

In Maya, make a hero material named dt2_texture_name, assign the diffuse texture named texture_name_d.dds to the material, and if you want, texture_name_n.dds for a normal map. Make a folder in /Texturebanks/ called /texture_name/ and put the texture files in there and make a .dtb file following other examples. Export the model as .hgm and upload that, it should work.
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 17, 08:52:50 PM by Amarak »

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 17, 09:47:51 PM »

I am trying everything you are saying and still get no results.

I can get the texture to load but it wont load any texture banks which makes me think it is still just a static part.

I try naming the Shader and the Diffuse Texture elements in maya as dt2_human_female_ranger_upper_body_shirt but nothing worked.

Sign on Discord and I can send over the file. I intend to make this player model free because this has been an absolute nightmare to set up and it is a shame there isnt a source+exported file you can play with right now.

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 17, 07:05:45 PM »

Worked with Amarak and we were able to get everything to work except one thing.

The texture banks still wont load in the character manager for my character.

I know the .dtb loads because the texture shows the default colors i selected in the .dtb how ever it doesnt load the texture banks to allow me to change them.

Amarak and I have look all this over. We don't know what it can be.

Please review these images as they should show you everything:
http://imgur.com/a/zn0Pb

Everything is configured properly, even including the texture bank in the par file.

texture banks work fine on the female character, but wont work on mine. I have a feeling it is something in the part file or exporting but all the information looks correct to us.

« Last Edit: Feb 05, 17, 07:41:11 PM by nocake »

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 17, 10:46:43 PM »

I am starting to think this is a problem with the Maya HE exporter and some changes that happened to Maya.

despite deleting every shader and material except the HeroShader from the part it is always exported with "defaultColorMgtGlobals" material that is listed under Material List on the HeroEngine Viewer Client.

Exporting the part with out a hero shader and the defaultColoMgtGlobals material is not listed in the materials list..

A quick google search turns up there is some problem with Maya 2016 and the color management feature.

I think this might be causing my problem and my assumption is the HE exporter is not catching this problem because it worked in previous versions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=defaultcolormgtglobals+material&oq=defaultcolormgtglobals+material&gs_l=serp.3..33i160k1.3230.4905.0.4979.9.9.0.0.0.0.117.645.7j1.8.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..1.8.640...30i10k1.ZY5uUnEiEBE
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 17, 05:07:11 PM by nocake »

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 17, 09:23:42 PM »

A brand new object in a brand new scene with only a heroshader applied will export with defaultColorMgtGlobals material layer.

Is this supposed to happen? I looked at older models I know were exported from Maya 2013 and they dont have this material on them.
Is this a maya configuration? I have enabled and disabled Color Management in Maya.

Please advise.

http://imgur.com/a/sNLjD

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 17, 09:51:36 PM »

I had Amarak export the part file and it didnt have the defaultcolormgtglobal material on it.

However it also didnt work but now with this file there is no reason it should not work:

http://imgur.com/a/5F8Lw

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 17, 01:01:10 AM »

So I built a function to iterate over a characters dynamic parts:

Code: [Select]
remote function dynamiccharacterstuff()
  char as NodeRef = 9223372186932132750
  divisionNames as List of String
  GetDivisions(char, divisionNames)
  println("___________________________")
  foreach dname in divisionNames
    println("-"+dname)
    slotNames as List of String
    GetSlotsInDivision(char, dname, slotNames)
    foreach slot in slotnames
      println("--"+slot)
      parts as List of String
      GetAllPartsForSlot(char, slot, parts)
      foreach part in parts
        println("---"+part)
        banks as List of String
        GetTextureBanksForPart(char,slot,part,banks)
        foreach bank in banks
          println("----"+bank)
          layers as List of String
          GetLayersInTextureBank(char,bank,layers)
          foreach layer in layers
            println("-----"+layer)
            pieces as List of String
            GetAvailablePiecesInLayer(char,bank,layer,pieces)
            foreach piece in pieces
              SetTexturePieceColor(char, bank, layer, piece, 4, 250, 50)
              println("------"+piece)
              fileNames as List of String
              GetPalettesForPiece(char, bank, layer, piece, fileNames)
              foreach filename in filenames
                println("-------"+filename)

On the other characters the above function will print out correctly to its furthest child.
But for my character it always stops at parts. Meaning it can never find any texturebanks for any of the parts on my character:

Code: [Select]
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:-top
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:--head
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:---default head
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:--hair
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:---empty
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:--facialhair
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:--headwear
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:--eyewear
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:-upper
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:--upper body
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:---default upper body
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:---dt2upperbody
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:--left arm
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:---default left arm
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:--right arm
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:---default right arm
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:-lower
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:--lower body
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:---default lower body
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:---test
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:---testtogo
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:---dt2lowerbody
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:--left leg
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:---default left leg
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:--right leg
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:---default right leg
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:-other
22:52:08: SCRIPT:[NoCake]:--special

I have looked over all my dynamic character files and they all seem to be set up correctly.
What am I missing that would be causing the dynamic texture banks to not load?

Thanks.

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 17, 03:16:08 PM »

Digging further now still with no end in sight but just another additional error:

Using this function causes HE to just crash with out any error catching or anything-
SetTexturePieceColor(char, "human_female_plate_lower_body_pants", "Female Plate Pants Base", "Default", 4, 250, 50)

I assume this is because my character is not loading dynamic textures at all but it would be nice if this was caught instead of just out right crashing HE.

I still am unable to resolve why my character alone cannot load texturebanks.

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 17, 03:45:58 PM »

The hunt continues.

Just noticed in the console and error window that this line is being printed when I open the character manager:

WARNING:System:CompositingManager::Add aMaterial[$]->DynamicTextureInfo->GetVersion() >= 2 (was 469950696)

Not sure what this error is. How can i check the version number of the textureinfo?

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 17, 07:08:04 PM »

I redid the entire character, and it still is not functioning, even though I got the dynamic texture bank to work on one of the dynamic body parts on another character. This problem seems to be character-spec-specific.

I am getting these errors:

ERROR:HeroScript::HeroMachine::ScriptError:GOM::getVariableReferenceFromNode (10823): requested node ID (0) not found
ERROR:System:SCRIPT ERROR: GOM::getVariableReferenceFromNode (10823): requested node ID (0) not found
Time:02/07/2017 17:02:59
Call trace:
  Script Input_Command line 116 me[9223372186961132750]
starting method/function ONCMDSTART
starting me[id=9223372186961132750 class=WE_NPC,HBNode,CharacterNode,_ACCControllerOwner,BaseCharacter,AnimNote,SoundNote]
WARNING:System:CompositingManager::Add aMaterial[$]->DynamicTextureInfo->GetVersion() >= 2 (was 427647064)
WARNING:System:CompositingManager::Add aMaterial[$]->DynamicTextureInfo->GetVersion() >= 2 (was 427643944)

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 17, 08:30:20 PM »

OK I have reached the end of what I can hunt down.

It appears that the error is either in the skeleton or the configuration files like .par .dyc and .dat or .aas

I can export parts from my maya and load them onto other characters and get the texture banks to load how ever they will not load on this character.

Can someone with experience in Maya and knows how to export characters properly please look over this maya source file?

There are 2 files. One is the base character naked and the second is Ranger which i have been trying to export dynamic texture bank parts from.

The dynamic texture bank works for the Skin material but not for the other texture banks I apply to the parts.

I included my exported character as well with my custom texture banks you can drop into your HE folder right away and look at the character in your game.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6A8cyU2VCSzM0VJc3NwZ3NDRlE

If you have any questions you wanted answered fast you can join us in Discord.

https://discord.gg/0151gfyM2xwEIkUL1

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 17, 11:58:11 PM »

I have worked on this problem quite a bit more. I deleted the skeleton and skin modifiers, exported the meshes from Max as .obj files, re-imported them so they were "clean", made a new biped skeleton and skinned the meshes to it. Made a dynamic character, and voila! Still the dynamic textre banks DO NOT WORK.

I have skinned a part to my own character and it DID work, so I am at a loss now. Below is what might be an error message:

WARNING:System:CompositingManager::Add aMaterial[$]->DynamicTextureInfo->GetVersion() >= 2 (was 660347280)
WARNING:System:CompositingManager::Add aMaterial[$]->DynamicTextureInfo->GetVersion() >= 2 (was 728902816)

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
(Resolved) Re: Dynamic Texture Banks Diffuse Path not clear
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 17, 05:05:14 AM »

I re-made the .par .dat and .dyc files and it fixed the problem. The files looked fine, but apparently there was something hidden in there.