HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: FMOD Studio Groups Working as Categories?  (Read 1169 times)

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
FMOD Studio Groups Working as Categories?
« on: Apr 15, 17, 11:01:47 PM »

In FMOD Designer we could assign sound events to "Categories" and in HeroScript we could use things like FMOD_SetCategoryVolume() and FMOD_SetCategoryMute() to adjust volume and mute for various named sets of sounds.

As we are switching over to using FMOD Studio, the research I have done seems to indicate that it uses Mixer Groups in place of categories. But thusfar when I play sound events from FMOD Studio bank files and have those events in sound groups, calling either of the above HeroScript functions prints an error message reading:

"ERROR:System:FMOD Error: (89) The requested event, event group, event category or event property could not be found."

Then I discovered VCA's in FMOD Studio and thought that might be it. First I assigned our sound group to a VCA, named the same thing, built the project, and re-uploaded all of the bank files to our repository, but still no luck. Then I noticed that even though the group was assigned to the VCA, the individual events in the group did not show that when I right-clicked them. So I assigned all of those events to the same VCA as well, built and re-uploaded.

Yet, it still does not recognize the group name.  Those script function work fine for the categories events were assigned to when using the old Designer-created files.

TLDR; Has anyone gotten the FMOD_SetCategory* functions to work on groups from FMOD Studio projects?  I do not know what could be the problem.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
Re: FMOD Studio Groups Working as Categories?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 17, 10:14:47 PM »

I haven't worked with it yet. Off the top of my head though isn't there independent volume control on top of the FX playing the sound. Maybe make a mark in the FX via the name or something to categorize and then when calling to the FX in the script you can have the audio adjusted or not played at all if muted.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 17, 01:18:11 AM »

Alas, many of our sounds are not using the FX system.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 17, 12:40:30 PM »

hrm can you post the code you have that plays the sounds? I can tell you where to handle the volume if so.

If you are initializing it via script that is even easier as you have the entity right there and dont have to search/filter for them through the fx system