HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Prospective Develloper/Customers - 2 Questions - Making FFXI type game  (Read 67 times)

noobDev11

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

Hello, I have recently come across this platform and hypothetically if I was to purchase and use this I have 2 main questions I would like to ask:

#1 - What is the sort of limit on number of players that could all inhabit a particular zone/area together? as well as across an entire server (all logged in at once)?
or perhaps is this just completely scalable based on how much memory and bandwith that get devoted to the servers?

coming from FFXI, I believe the limit was something like 650 to 1200 people in any 1 zone (it would vary, more for towns), and about 3,500 people across the whole server. After that people would get forcably DC'd from the server, or kicked out and not allowed in the zone that's full. Those are the sort of minimal numbers a game I would like to create would have to be able to hold

#2 - Are there any develloper teams using HeroEngine to develop a game that's basically identical to the formula of early FFXI and Everquest?

I basically want to create a real true succesor to FFXI (before they F*D IT UP AFTER AHT URHGAN AND WENT BACK ON EVERY SINGLE CORE PRINCIPLE THE ENTIRE GAME WAS FOUNDED ON), because I'm sick of tired of waiting and it's never going to get made by anyone else.

I did a little forum search and see something by a guy calling his team Lucid Epic, but it's from 2012, and the website he links to looks down, and a google search turns up nothing, so it looks like that idea never materialized

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains

The HE is a very flexible platform, and you can use it to make any type of online game - including the more old fashioned types with lots of players in a zone.
For the servers, you can either use HE's ones, or set up your own.
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online

Any game will start to suffer from lag and performance hits once an area is saturated with players. You have to ask yourself "do i need 1000 players in a single spun up server area"

The engine can handle it, but will your servers be able to?

If the server is powerful enough you can have 1 mega server with your entire playerbase on it.

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG

Another thing to consider, is how detailed the characters will be. The more each character can have different textures added to it, the more memory it will use up. Different models, if each player has their own unique model, that also adds to the memory usage. If all players use the same base model, and they pretty much gain the same gear or have maybe 2 or 3 different sets, then the more you can add to one area/zone.

It can depend on how much detail is in the zone itself, the more models and textures there, the more memory usage. Terrain could have lots of detail or it could have a snowfield. Add in houses, trees, roads, huge mountains, and the number also goes down.

Yes, anyone can put 1200 duplicate models in a pretty empty zone. But add in some details, and that number starts to go down.
Heroes and Villains Lead programmer/scripter