HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: "fixed" Heroblade crashed and now have a texture issue.  (Read 903 times)

Mith-Garth

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

Was working on game and Hero blade crashed. When i came back a number of items had there texture changed.
I didn't think much of it and fixed them in the material over ride. 
I started to mess with Area effects,lighting etc and decided to make a sky box.

This is when i found out any new Mesh i add into my hero loads with the same texture that came up
after crash. This texture is not applied or open in anyway inside my modeling apps. It is also not in the same
folders as the new objects i am adding.  On static objects i can over ride and change it to the right texture.
However i can't do that with the skybox and my skybox looks like a mossy rock lol.

Anyone had this issue before? Anything i might be able to do to fix it?

"I rebooted all my programs and my pc and deleted the texture that everything is being pointed to.
Any new mesh added in still directs to this texture. Now with just flashing disco lights after removing the
texture.

"Also add that i was adding a new area and then it decided to use another texture at random. It changes
the textures on a few items and once again any new mesh added in auto loads to this texture.

I would guess it's a issue in the cloud?
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 18, 08:54:01 AM by Mith-Garth »

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: Heroblade crashed and now have a texture issue.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 18, 03:33:04 AM »

Hello and good morning,
    Lets see if I can help you out. From your post, I see two issues that are easily solved. :) lets cover the most colourful one first.

1) Flashing textures:
Flashing texture means that there is a missing texture that the model is looking for. This is the default "Missing" texture to let developers know something is wrong visually. Normally you can see the error in your error panel as well. This error will tell you that the texture is missing, and what one and the location it is looking for it.

Though the texture is annoying other engines do the same thing, though they tend to use a white or grey texture. HE uses the annoying flashing texture to let you know to fix the issue and remove that extra overhead of the server continually looking for the missing texture.

Make sure when you do replace them, you have them in the same directory structure locally as what is on your server.
Note:
You can put or move your HE root directory anywhere you like, but make sure that everything inside ../HE/.. matches. But make sure that your files (Models and textures) in your models are in the correct place inside the HE directory and matches your export and import on the repository.

2) Material Redefinition:
For the same textures being applied that is due to a model looking for the same material as another asset. It will generally apply the texture based on the first model and texture loaded.
This error can also be seen in the error panel as "Material Redefinition".
Example:
These textures are different for two different models from two different files, but HE looks for material names for that model file.
  model_01 has the material named "default_01"
  model_55 has the material named "default_01"

When model_01 loads first, it will apply the correct texture, but once model_55 loads it lookks for that material, then applies it, with the incorrect texture.

The solution to this is to make sure that your materials are named different for every file. I tend to use the model/file name as a base for my materials. I also tend to group similar or sets in the same max (or maya) file so I can utilize both texture and material banks.
Example:
Using the max or model base name as your base for your material names removes the Material Redefinition:
  Max file: MyModel_00
  Model name: MyModel_01
  Texture Name: tx_MyModel_01
  Material Names: MyModel_00-a, MyModel_00-b, MyModel_00-c

This is a brief overview. I hope that this helps.  Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have, about this or other issues. We are here to help.

:)

Mith-Garth

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 18, 08:39:42 AM »

Bet your right. I have been forgetting to  name the material in max and just name the textures. This could be causing this issue. I will try that out later and reply again to let you know if that's the issue.

Mith-Garth

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 18, 08:53:41 AM »

Thank you so much i was just having a brain fart.  I was forgetting to name our meshes and materials in max. So i have  a bunch of stuff names the same. Didn't notice this for a wile because i am working on a area that is mostly a few textures for it's rocks and detail which is what were working on right now.

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: "fixed" Heroblade crashed and now have a texture issue.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 18, 04:29:50 PM »

Good afternoon,
I am glad that got you to your answer. Please do feel free to ask if you have any other questions or concerns. The community here is really great and helpful as well.

Would love to see some of the areas or assets you are working on when you are ready. I always love to see what people are working on.

Again, any questions or such feel free to ask. Even if it is just looking for an answer in the Wiki and a link.

:)

Mith-Garth

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 18, 09:10:30 PM »

I have another question maybe you can answer with out me starting a new post.

Which version of Fmod do we use now? The only thing i could find on forum or wiki links to
a version so old it's 32bit window only.  We do still use Fmod right? Trying to at least get some area
sound effects in to set the mood as we work on areas.

I'll share some videos and stuff later on. At one point many years ago i had a large MMO near done.
I can't really code but hired help here and there from other hobby game makers. I understand code enough
to take one script, and alter it to set up many things with the one script. 

Such as taking a quest code or store code and altering it for each one we need.  However the game engine i was using never worked out there kinks and they went under before ever finishing things up.  Been to busy over the last few years but now have much more free time again.

I'll be pretty busy getting lots done and have a helper and maybe more coming. There mostly just there to help with the world as i build it. Trying to teach them to model and texture also.

I'll be looking to find hopefully a friendly and decent coder or two to pay by the hour as i can budget them in.
Last time i had two guys and i would okay them for a certain amount of hours now and then at our agreed payment.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 18, 11:36:29 AM »

Yes, I can tell you FMOD is the way to go for getting audio into the game. The latest tool to use is FMOD Studio:
https://www.fmod.com/download

Our team currently still uses the older version FMOD Designer.

The files the tools produce are different, but (as of now) both still work with HeroEngine.

We were looking to transition to using Studio, but in trying it out I was not able to get sound categories to work in HeroEngine via Studio. (sound categories are so that there can be individual volumes and mutes for different types of sounds)  The categories only seem to work via Designer.

Designer is not officially available for download anymore from FMOD's site. If Studio works for you, you can just go ahead and use that.  Otherwise the FMOD Q&A says once you register an account you can email support@fmod.com to get access to the older one, or try hunting the web for it.
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 18, 11:38:13 AM by FI-ScottZ »
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Mith-Garth

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 18, 01:09:09 PM »

I figured it out now, took me a bit on the sound. I was trying to load up the Bank file as audio in the audio horn.
I found you have to load up the .wav file for the horn. I know really all sound stuff is going to take some Fx and programming work. I am just glad i can start to build up my sound library for when we get to that point and hire
some help.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 18, 02:46:59 AM by Mith-Garth »