HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Water edge flickering - against terrain!  (Read 382 times)

encode_decode

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Water edge flickering - against terrain!
« on: Jul 26, 18, 09:13:55 PM »

This issue is a little more difficult for me to explain.

So we have made a terrain - it is nine heightmaps: each heightmap is 256 x 256 in size. The heightmaps are arranged 3 x 3 so we are talking a large square.

We have edited the entire map(ie heightmaps) with the terrain editor(rather crudely for now). It resembles a large island with white sandy beaches. We also have a water plane(ie mirror) that is larger than the entire terrain to serve as the beaches surrounding the island.

The problem is when you are walking the character along the waters edge, the edge of the water flickers against the terrain. We have experimented with many different settings and angles of shoreline but to no avail.

I will further explain this if necessary.

Any help to solve this flickering issue would be greatly appreciated.

:)

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: Water edge flickering - against terrain!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 18, 09:34:21 PM »

Good evening,
Could you explain a bit more about what the flickering is, screenshot or video/gif can help also. Then we can see where we can help out.

My first guess is that it is z-fighting at a distance because the water plane and the terrain is too close together or sharing the same space (depending on the distance you have the camera at). So, lets see what we can do to help out.

:)

encode_decode

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Water edge flickering - against terrain!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 18, 05:08:58 AM »

I found some info in the following post which seems to back up what we already suspected:

https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,5015.msg28244.html#msg28244

There were a couple of good tips in that post too  :)

Z-fighting certainly must be the issue here - so I am guessing the best thing in this situation is to work my way around it with a few cheap hacks such as deepening where the edges of the water and terrain meet to name one.