HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Framerate drop!  (Read 220 times)

encode_decode

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Framerate drop!
« on: Jul 30, 18, 09:22:34 PM »

I have 4 areas joined together with seamless 2.0

- each area is a grid of heightmaps

Here are the settings for each grid:

Is it normal to get a framerate drop? I have not even started to edit the terrain yet.

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
Re: Framerate drop!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 18, 09:31:10 AM »

Are you only getting the framerate drop when you cross the line between the areas?
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

encode_decode

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 18, 06:49:52 PM »

Are you only getting the framerate drop when you cross the line between the areas?
We are getting it there too - but only for a second.

We are using the following configuration(A,B,C,D being grids):

The drop seems to happen when standing in A looking down toward the intersection B,D and C. I am guessing it would happen standing in any other area looking back at the intersection of the remaining areas.

I am mainly curious as to whether this is normal behaviour - that way I can plan around it somewhat.

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 18, 09:44:45 AM »

Good morning encode_decode,
    I would like to first look at the size of the areas you have. a 2k by 2k is quite large. It might be doable but I would suspect that due to the large scale of the area, once it starts filling up with assets, that will be a lot for players and developers to load.

Area and terrain scale/size:
    General advise should be taken with a grain of salt, but the most important thing is the scope of your project. For area size I would keep it down to between 256x256 and (at very max) 1000x1000. I think most find between 412x412 and 756x756 seems to work well depending on the scope and design of their project. In other words, as of right now due to limitations with several factors I would suggest not using such a large scale set of areas.

If you remember and still have the image i showed you, I would suggest doing the scale testing we talked about in chat. Try out different sizes, link them and test out the performance as well as viewable distance. Toss in a bunch of art that can simulate (can be default example/placeholder art) and note the performance on each. Factors that play a part in what size areas you want to have over all are (in general):
- Total number of draws:
----Number of texture draws (texture counts)
---- Number of assets draws (adds to the total draw count)
- Number of areas connected (recommend no more than 9 seamless2.0)
- Total number of verts (or polys)

One thing to note and to remember when we were talking about areas and terrain size is that when you connect using seamless 2.0 you will generally be linking all of those connecting areas together. Whether you go with a brick (7 areas) or a grid (9 areas) the effect will be the same. The player must load all surrounding areas that are connected, and it will cache those around the surrounding active area.

There is no right or wrong way of setting up your seamless 2.0 areas, the key factor is to remember the total draws and what will be loading no mater how you lay it out. The three most common are a) grid, b) staggered and c) brick.

Area transition (zoning) hitching:
For the hitching at area transition, this is normal and a lot depends on how much of an affect that will have on players.
► Do note that the blade has it a bit more exaggerated than on the client due to the number of tools you are running that are not on the default client and none on the client build. However, it is good to keep your blade as a good guide to gauge possible issues that players might face.

Things that increase area transition hitching:
- Network connection (Not bandwidth, but the actual connection and number of hops a player has to and from the server)
- Available bandwidth (on both sides)
- Number of assets (includes both art and scripts) needing to load
- Number of visual assets to render (What loads on the screen at transition)
- Number of PC's and NPC's (this is in its own category)
- What is currently being loaded to the player from cache (or unloading from the cache)

Once you have it down to where it is at your bare minimum, there are plenty of things that can help mitigate the loads and draws already built into HE that you can use.
- Awareness systems http://hewiki.heroengine.com/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=awareness&go=Go
- Rooms http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Rooms
- Regions http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Region

There are several other methods as well, but these are the top three that help once you have a reasonable overhead that fits your bare minimum performance in an area and during area transition.

I hope this helped a bit, if you have more questions please feel free to ask anywhere. I hope this helps out a bit.

:)