HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Building an huge city  (Read 472 times)

AkenStyle

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Building an huge city
« on: Jan 13, 19, 01:14:04 PM »

Hi, in the game swtor the planet Coruscant is an huge city with thousands of buildings.
I Want to know, but there is a procedural script to place quickly thousands of buildings?  ;D

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
Re: Building an huge city
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 19, 01:26:56 PM »

No.

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 19, 07:58:13 PM »

You can add buildings to the Terrain editor as static meshes and paint them on the same as you would rocks or plants

AkenStyle

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 19, 03:48:46 AM »

You can add buildings to the Terrain editor as static meshes and paint them on the same as you would rocks or plants
Good trick thanks  ;)

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 19, 08:18:01 AM »

Just to make clear, a city like swtor coruscant is not proceduraly made. It is comprised of assets placed manually ingame. Most likely combined in max/maya and imported to the game as a single mesh.

Plus there arent actually thousands or even hundreds of buildings. Most of the construction in swtor are huge megastructures that take up a lot of space, the same with the big buildings in the distance. They are lodded and also combine billboards.

AkenStyle

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 19, 12:32:43 PM »

very interesting, maybe a video tutorial on youtube on how to make it, approach a few people on this engine  :P

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 19, 01:12:31 PM »

Not so much a tutorial video, but these can show how the built in networking and servers work.

Collaborative video: (This was done last minute with only a few hours to plan and total build time from start to finish was 2 hours and 40 minutes):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgKY9fe4Djk

This is a Dev video of us rebuilding an area from start to finish. (This was done with all of us on line at the same time working in the same area in real time): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4i6_l6xAso

Please note that part of the subscription and the royalties covers the networking and servers. You do not ever need to touch that code at all. It is already built in.

Regards,
Sarrene'

AkenStyle

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 19, 04:31:20 AM »

Not so much a tutorial video, but these can show how the built in networking and servers work.

Collaborative video: (This was done last minute with only a few hours to plan and total build time from start to finish was 2 hours and 40 minutes):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgKY9fe4Djk

This is a Dev video of us rebuilding an area from start to finish. (This was done with all of us on line at the same time working in the same area in real time): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4i6_l6xAso

Please note that part of the subscription and the royalties covers the networking and servers. You do not ever need to touch that code at all. It is already built in.

Regards,
Sarrene'

I've never seen a similar thing, very innovative :D
For example i don't know how to replace the default character with a new character, i can invite  for 2 or 3 minutes to my project an expert?
And i can see in a window all the steps?

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 19, 07:37:26 AM »

Dont start with replacing the character. Concentrate on smaller less advanced things. Working your way up is a good way to avoid getting in over your head and breaking something.

AkenStyle

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 19, 11:56:54 AM »

ok, i have read on internet that Idea Fabrik have buy the game Repopulation, so the assets, modular structures etc of the game are available in the Hero Engine? And i can use them?  ::)

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 19, 12:02:17 PM »

Good afternoon Aken,
    Yes, IF did purchase The Repopulation, however that is being developed by a separate team from the HeroEngine engineers.

The Repopulation remains to be a stand alone game and is not part of HeroEngine or its assets. I am sorry. We do have and include some placeholder assets both in engine and as separate downloads in your dashboard under "Additional Downloads". This includes a couple characters and some static art tile sets.

Regards,
Sarrene'