HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Unable to Develop - HE pipeline out of date  (Read 348 times)

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
Unable to Develop - HE pipeline out of date
« on: Jun 27, 19, 01:18:39 AM »

Am currently unable to develop as HE does not support max/maya 2017, 2018, 2019 or 2020.

The pipeline only goes up to 2016. This is 4 versions/years behind current 3ds version.

This is a huge problem for anyone with no access to old versions of this software.

Having a pipeline for these new versions is a critical update in my view. Any developer with a new version of max/maya will be unable to do anything model wise.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
Re: Unable to Develop - HE pipeline out of date
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 19, 01:46:08 AM »

We're aiming for a Q1 2018 release of the updated pipeline.

It was mentioned 2 years ago that updated pipelines are in the works. Its now 2019.

The main problem here is getting hold of versions of max earlier than 2017 is impossible as far as i can tell. Even if you are a full subscriber to autodesk, they only give you access to 17 onwards.

Mr_Conflicts

• General Accounts
  • HSL Programmer
    • View Profile
    • Daniel J. Burkhart
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 19, 11:31:48 AM »

I would like to add that as a subscriber of both Autodesk 3ds Max and Mudbox and HeroEngine, it is  indeed a large hindrance to getting more work done. Also, there are a few other programs I would like to point out as being out of date besides 3ds Max and Maya.

Another program I had a hard time finding was FMOD Designer as FMOD Studios has now taken its place. I did however manage to find FMOD studios installer via an internet archive and have saved it if anyone wants to message me on where they can get it.

That aside I do appreciate the work you guys are doing and I wont be going anywhere, but please give us an update soon! I'd love to know where you guys are at.

*EDIT* So I upgraded to the Autodesk Entertainment Suit and apparently if you do that you can still access Maya 2016. Unfortunately it's not cheap so it may not be the best option for everyone...
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 19, 01:09:05 PM by Mr_Conflicts »

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 19, 01:20:42 AM »

I blame Autodesk really, for obsoleting old super stable versions of max/maya. Their business practices are really shady.

For example, most people love a certain version of a program. For me it was 2012, which may sound old but it dud EVERYTHING i needed it to. But for some dumb reason they now only give access to the last 3 versions.

So if you want to use the old and stable version, you are basically out of luck unless you find a reseller copy and thats like finding cheese on the moon.

I scoured the internet for half a day looking at how to get old versions...its like they literally dont exist anymore.

Mr_Conflicts

• General Accounts
  • HSL Programmer
    • View Profile
    • Daniel J. Burkhart
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 19, 12:17:41 PM »

You are correct, I called Autodesk asking about it, and they told me that they don't even have the option to sell older versions even upon special request. And their re-sellers can get in trouble if they sell one. I have to agree it's a bunch of baloney but that's how it is. As for shady practices, I am not sure if I agree there, it's completely legal for a company to make such a decision because theoretically you don't have to bu their product. In our case however, as HeroEngine only supports Autodesk products for export and import to HeroEngine, we are stuck using their products for now.

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 19, 02:45:23 PM »

I just wanted to pop in for those that are not in Discord channel and say that we fully understand the difficulty of not having the most recent plugins for Max and Maya for Granny. I am working with a few to help out as I am able at this time. 

I am very sad to hear that they forced an update for older stand alone versions for some of you. I was not aware of this until yesterday. So thank you for letting me know this information. This is the primary reason why we are putting this on the list for the very next thing we do.

Please know that we 100% understand and agree. This is something on our end, not just Autodesk's new(ish) policy.

Again, though we are very busy at this time working on  cool stuff, the Max/Maya plugins and related update will be the VERY next thing.

We appreciate the patience and letting us know of some of the changes in policy that I was not aware of. This information has let us put this to the top of the list

I do not have an ETA at the moment. However, as soon as I do, I will let all of you know! Please do note that the engineers are working very hard. If any of you have any problems, please feel free to contact me personally over Discord.

Regards,
Sarrene'

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 19, 04:27:51 AM »

You are correct, I called Autodesk asking about it, and they told me that they don't even have the option to sell older versions even upon special request. And their re-sellers can get in trouble if they sell one. I have to agree it's a bunch of baloney but that's how it is. As for shady practices, I am not sure if I agree there, it's completely legal for a company to make such a decision because theoretically you don't have to bu their product. In our case however, as HeroEngine only supports Autodesk products for export and import to HeroEngine, we are stuck using their products for now.

The shady part is forcing you to use a new version even if you are fine with it and you prefer to use the older versions. In the internet of 2019, there is absolutely no reason at all to not give access to the back catalogue of software.

Imagine if every company only kept the last 3 years of software on their site.

Imagine trying to get drivers for graphics cards from 2010 if nvidia removed them from their site.

How comes i can still get Adobe CS2 from 2005 direct from their damn website?

cysis145

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 19, 02:36:05 PM »

For those who have not yet been forcibly updated in regards to 3ds max, please proceed to disable the autodesk updater service, until the updated Exporter tool are available.

Here is a tutorial explaining how to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_HZRDY-6Nk