HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Art Directory Setup Question  (Read 2285 times)

Merries

• World Owners
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Art Directory Setup Question
« on: Aug 23, 11, 09:37:20 AM »

I have a team of three and I'm the primary artist, currently I have a 'Art' directory set up on my C drive, C:/Art...
I am using Maya as my download pipeline and have it all set up with the Hero Export Bar.

My question is related to the art server setup and setting a drive to R, I do not necessary want artists I may pick up in the future accessing my computer or trying to keep all of them in sync on their local drives, so I was wondering, would it be possible to use something like Dropbox http://www.dropbox.com/ to hold the art work?
Or perhaps using a hosting company to get a virtual server to hold the information?

What are other small teams doing? Is it difficult to sync up folders on multiple drives and what software do you use?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 01:13:24 PM by HE-Cooper »
Game Asset Artist | I am available for static art asset creation and world building, please message.

MsSarrene

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Triad Game Studios, LLC.
Re: Art Directory Setup Question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 11, 10:52:14 AM »

I think that there are several ways you can actually do this. It really depends on how you are set up, what experience you have and what/how you want to be set up. I can tell you how we do it. Our way may be the more complicated way to set up, however we are a partial virtual/partial onsite office.

Most of the developers we have are off site- so we run a "virtual" office at this time. We decided to set up our own servers for work purposes instead of paying a third file management company. We have our own  server set up that is partitioned into two parts (excluding the os partition). One is for public access and is our web server. The other is set up for our project and work management. On the private partition we have restricted access and plenty of security set up including allowing and blocking ip's  through use of cPanel.

This option proved the best for us since we did not have to rely on another user being online for updates and syncs, isp issues that someone may experience, setting up auto updates, and so on.

We did explore and try using Cerberus FTP to connect and sync up our selected drives and or partitions, however this can become a bit difficult if people are in different timezones and are not always online. I know there are a lot of other similar programs that are ftp or have remote  file/drive sharing. For this type, we found that Cerberus FTP was one of the more secure options with plenty of security options. It can be a bit difficult to set up, and each user must have this installed and set up as well.

Also explored the option of Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 use. However we wanted to stay away from that if possible.

I know there are other posts on the forum explaining how they have set up their art and file systems, maybe some of them can explain a bit more on what route they chose to take. I am curious to see how other have set up their own groups in this regard as well. :) 

Peace,
Sarrene

Rissa2002

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 11, 10:56:48 AM »

Our team has been modeling for a few years now so we are used to swapping textures on yahoo or posting to our website forums to vote on its use in our game, the final .dds files are from uv unwraps with the model and go into the repository which is shared to all dev team.

so all in all we have 2 folders for art use, the what i call source tex which any modeler stores on his/her machine which you should all agree on folder structure for easier passing of models..ie if you all use same set up then if you need to send your .max meshes to each other for work/ revision/ showing off to each other then it will locate the textures applied to it easy if not then ya have to reapply the textures cause it cant find em where it expected to.

Personally i have 3 file set ups cause i also back up my source texts to another drive cause of past hard drive failures i always keep back up of tex and max files.

Trigger

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 11, 11:58:53 AM »

What are other small teams doing? Is it difficult to sync up folders on multiple drives and what software do you use?

We are a small team based in the UK, and I have set-up a SFTP server using freeSSHd (it's very easy to set-up) and we use another program called "SFTP Net Drive" (freeware) to map the SFTP to a local drive, this allows us to have a secure location where we can all connect to...

We just have the main HE folder at the moment and a separate area "Source Art" for anything that doesn't belong in HERO itself.

I did look at multiple hosting solutions, and found that either they where rather expensive, or they didn't support placing any type of file on there (limited to documents and the like) hence the route down our own SSH server...

The only issue with our solution is that it can be a bit annoying waiting for things to save to the drive, but that's probably my impatience more than anything as the others seem happy :)

Hope that of some help..

Merries

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 11, 02:46:53 PM »

Thank you very much all yes it did help.
Game Asset Artist | I am available for static art asset creation and world building, please message.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 11, 05:10:40 PM »

We didn't end up going this route, but we did consider using Dropbox as an art server.  We already use it for general file sharing and have been very happy with it.  The only reason we ended not using Dropbox for the art server was we have one person handling the uploading to the repo and he preferred to use a local folder.

But I think Dropbox would work very well and is inexpensive (free for up to 2GB and more can be earned free or bought).
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

RealityX

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Vaporware Studios
« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 11, 11:29:37 PM »

The way i currently have my server setup is as follows:

As I already had a linux VPS (virtual private server) for other things (Teamspeak 3 server, minecraft server, etc) I figured I would try and get that working as the art server for our group. I installed samba on the server and setup a directory where anyone can read/write to. I then configured the firewall to block all normal internet trafic to samba and installed a hamchi client.

Now all my artist have to do is connect to the server via hamachi and map the network share to a drive letter we all have agreed on, and I as an admin get to approve who connects to hamachi, and there by who connects to the share.

It sounds complicated, but its really not.