HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Hero Shader conflict with Maya 2009 solution  (Read 1899 times)

WoE-Anthony

• Developer
    • View Profile

HI guys,

I dont know if its just my Maya, laptop or other but here was the problem. When I assigned a Hero Shader to an object...then decided I wanted to change it, when I deleted the shader in Hypershade and applied a new one..this is what happened. The new Hero Shader would automatically upload the last texture used!!! This was driving me CRAZY...LOL. Now I changed the shader to a bliin then tried another Hero...and wham..up came this mysterious texture!!! even though the path to the .dds file was not input in the attribute for the shader!! I dont know what the deal is...but even when I deleted the shader again the object still had the connection node to the deleted shader.

I THINK I have solved this finally...(fingers crossed). I have deleted all in the hypershade then went for a cruise through the menus...go to Edit>Delete by Type>Shaders and materials. I hope this is the way to clean the object...it appears to have worked thus far.

Anyone else had this problem?

Cheers bullet
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 02:40:26 PM by HE-Cooper »
We are coming at ya!

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Hero Shader conflict with Maya 2009 solution
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 11, 10:08:59 PM »

Are you sure you just weren't forgetting to assign unique material names to each object you created? It could have been something else, but Maya uses the last material name you entered by default, and if you don't change it it will keep popping up.

WoE-Anthony

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 11, 12:06:34 AM »

Thats the thing Cooper...there was only one object in the scene. Yes I name the shader as per the object detail...ie, dropship_foundation...etc. I will make a vid and link to my dropbox....it might make it clearer. What has me puzzled is the shader in Maya was deleted and all connections were too. When I created a new shader it would apply the texture I had used...but that texture has been deleted fom my hard drive and I did not tell Maya...or rather hadnt told Maya the path to the texture?? because it was gone...so how did Maya apply this if it didnt exist anymore?

cheers bullet
We are coming at ya!

WoE-Anthony

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 11, 12:36:15 AM »

Here Cooper have a squiz at this...weird. Also when I have given a new diffuse and normal texture..then upload to Hero..it either has used the 'mystery' texture....or now none at all. Now my paths are fine and everything was working again this morning (after much frustration)....now no textures appear in Hero.....I think I need a rather large glass of Rum.

cheers bullet

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4090628/HE-Cooper_TQ.0001.wmv
We are coming at ya!

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 11, 04:58:04 PM »

I can't speak to how your paths are setup, or your scripts, but I'm assuming even though you believe you are deleting the textures, I suspect you are pointing at the texture on the repository browser and that's why they are still showing up.

The rest of the problems appear to all be related to the Maya setup on your local, which is beyond my ability to diagnose, so we'll have to see if others can guess at the problem.

I just logged in to your Repository and I also see that you have those textures for the drop_pad listed in multiple folders, at the top level textures folder, as well as two folders down, which would also explain you believing you are deleting them, but are deleting a different set.
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 11, 05:05:43 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 11, 05:15:30 PM »

I also see the object in question, textured correctly in your world, so when you say no textures appear in HeroEngine, are you saying that just you have no textures, but the rest of your team does? If that's the case, it sounds like epic local machine brokeness. But maybe I'm misunderstanding.

WoE-Anthony

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 11, 08:27:20 PM »

Hi Cooper thanks for looking in man. Yes I had duplicated textures late last night to put working models in the repo.... Prior to this however there were no duplicated files. This Bermuda Triangle thing has also happened when Im not connected to the repo...so there must be as you say a local problem. LOL epic local machine brokeness...love it man...put that in the wiki!

The texture I put in yesterday worked eventually....but not the normal map I exported. wasnt the one in the preview. Some how it exported the UV map lines...even though the Nvidia preview and Granny view showed no such normal map...LOL this is driving me mad. I had been deleting the repo and reuploading everything...but no textures would come through...eventually I created a new model by exporting out of Maya as an .ma then saving as a new model then exporting to hero...I basically had the change file names each time.

I will try deleting all temp files etc before I start and see if that changes anything....I have re-installed Maya etc but it made no difference. I have also treated each object as a single entity now with no multiple objects unless they are designed to be so.

Thanks for the help though Cooper. I will write some of this down and things I do and see if it can help anyone who may have this problem.

Kind regards Bullet
We are coming at ya!