HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Shaders  (Read 2205 times)

GM_James

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Shaders
« on: Aug 30, 11, 10:39:55 AM »

Any idea yet when we will have the ability to create our own shaders? For a game that involves alot of Water the current water shader is completely un-acceptable even for a Indie MMO and I really haven't figured out how to improve the quality of the water yet. I have added the cube map that comes with hero cloud but for dynamic sky that just isn't going to work!
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 03:54:31 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Shaders
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 11, 11:01:59 AM »

I see a lot of great water out there in various dev worlds, have you tried new textures and scrolling textures and all that jazz? I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to get out of a new shader for it, or what you've tried or haven't tried. We actually have really good water options that most people are pretty pleased with the customizability, so maybe if you outline what you are trying to do and can't get to happen folks can point you in the right direction.

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 11, 02:05:17 PM »

have you tried new textures and scrolling textures

I haven't but will now :) , thanks for the tip

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 11, 03:55:23 PM »

Yeah. Remember, everything we give you relating to art and content is just placeholder, or meant to be placeholder. If you don't like the look of the water, make it better, make better cube maps, better textures, overlapping scrolling textures, etc.

I saw someone today with crazy sections of river underneath water, and various specular planes under the surface, and sea spray fx attached to the front and sides of the boat, looked as good as any engine I've seen not in a CG render, and without deformable water of course.

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 11, 06:31:51 PM »

I just harass over email, that is the way to do it guys :-).
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation

Rissa2002

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 11, 06:36:10 PM »

~Hugs Cooper~ ahhh now you are appreciated!

now i aint had the time yet to poke into the shaders per say but is it possible to attach a skybox to the water and have that reflect the dynamic sky changes?

just a tip of the tongue idea so to speak
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 11, 01:16:15 AM by Rissa2002 »

WoE-Byron

• World Owner
  • WoE Online Project Manager
    • View Profile
    • Carbon Studios
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 11, 09:17:18 PM »

Im pretty sure I've answered more posts between the two of you and at all hours than all other devs combined. In silent protest I will stop answering your posts for 7 days. Welcome to the penalty box. *sniff*

Ouch, I was only trying to be active on the forums as well as get answers to questions that I have been concerned for weeks on. If I am to be punished for being active then I am to be punished but I support the growth and unification of the community. As always, I will keep moving forward and my project will make it to the finish line on schedule as planned. :)

Cooper, I also want to note that you and the rest of the Hero Engine Company staff do a great job at answering the concerns of the community. Even if I am truly in the penalty box, I feel you guys are providing the best MMO solution on the planet and we all should be honored to be able to use such an incredible solution.
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 11, 09:24:39 PM by WoE-Byron »