HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Cant get an edited texture to show up  (Read 2158 times)

Jrome90

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Cant get an edited texture to show up
« on: Aug 28, 11, 03:25:49 PM »

I am wanting to change one of the "character_sample_simple" model textures to something that fits our environment a bit better. (Temporary of course)

I read somewhere that you cant just delete a texture and replace it with one of your own without renaming the texture.

After renaming the texture, and uploading it to the correct directory it still doesnt change.
Is it possible to use an edited texture to replace the original? If so how?

I believe the right directory is: He/Character/Character_sample_simple/maps/
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 01:31:56 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Cant get an edited texture to show up
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 11, 07:35:49 PM »

Jrome, I think we'll need a bit more information about what you are doing and what files you are replacing, and what script you've changed, etc. More information the better.

Jrome90

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 11, 09:59:50 PM »

I am trying to change the "character_sample_skin_caucasion.dds"
Located at:
 He/Character/Character_sample_simple/maps/

I first deleted the original one, then replaced it with one named "character_sample_skin_caucasion_Edited.dds"

In the repository the SCN# is different than the original, and the Meta Data is 3, and the original's meta data was 0. (Not sure if it matters)

To test to see if it has changed the texture to the edited version. I add the asset "character_sample_simple_skeleton.gr2" (Default CE one) to the area.

I didn't change or add any scripts. I wasnt sure if that is required. Do need to use a script to create the asset, and then change the texture?

Rissa2002

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 11, 11:06:38 PM »

the way ya did it wont work, the asset itself has a pathway and name of the textures it should have it "Knows" that your new one is different cause ya changed its name slightly if ya rename it to exactly the same name as the original one that should work if i understand things correctly.

Jrome90

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 11, 02:54:15 PM »

Keeping the name the same as the original doesn't work either.

Rissa2002

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 11, 07:45:57 PM »

only other thing i can think of is get a copy of the original put it in the folder it belongs to and verify it works in game, then pull it up in photoshop and modify it and save then recheck in game to see alterations.

you deleted the original you stated in prior post and wondering if there was some other export tags i just dont know about that your current revised texture does not have..

Jrome90

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 11, 05:40:11 PM »

I just needed to clear my Local Repository Cache, and replace another file.

Which brings up the question

If we were to edit a texture for a static character will it always require to have the LRC cleared to be able to see the new texture?

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 06, 11, 06:35:25 PM »

If we were to edit a texture for a static character will it always require to have the LRC cleared to be able to see the new texture?

Possibly not.  Priming the LRC with that asset might do the trick, though I am speculating.  I don't know if you are familiar with doing that, but fyi priming is to add to the LRC via the Repo Browser and would be done so that you can get the asset into your LRC when it is convenient instead of when you first encounter that asset in the game, which would otherwise require downloading it then.

Anyways, the repo browser has a a menu Configure-->Settings, then check Prime Local Cache.  With that checked, when you drag an asset from the repo to your local folder, it will look like you are copying the file to that location, but it will actually be updating the LRC with that asset.  If you look at the LRC location*, you can actually see it being updated.

I have only done that for adding things that were not already in; I have no idea if it will update when the asset is already in but the repo version is newer. It is worth a shot, though.

*For me, on Windows 7, it is C:\ProgramData\FOREVERINTERACTIVELLC\Repository
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Jrome90

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 06, 11, 08:12:45 PM »

Thanks, I over looked that part of the wiki.