HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Shawn "DragonFist" Smith  (Read 1629 times)

DragonFist

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Shawn "DragonFist" Smith
« on: Sep 01, 11, 06:25:35 PM »

Hello.  I don't have a "Studio" at this time.

I'm a teenager that became an old fart and I'm still confused as to when that happened.  My first experience with RPGs was the original red box D&D rule set where class and race were one in the same.  Long weekends of no sleep with my friends exploring dungeons and worlds that became increasingly more complex and real.  Sometimes even long debates about rule sets and why game x was better than game y.  Later, after upgrading from a tape drive to a 5 1/4 floppy and being amazed that games only took 5-10min to load now, we had even longer weekends traveling the worlds of Britania and The Bards Tale (one person had the keyboard but we each played our own character).  The Goldbox games came and NeverWinter Nights resulted in less sleep than ever.

Time marched forward, games got better: Ultima Online, Everquest (Anyone remember the EQ ads that went something like this "Tired of making chairs?" targeted at Ultima Online players.), Asheron's Call, Darkages of Camelot, etc.  I never got into WoW, only recently played it to get an idea of what made it popular.  Diablo was fun the first time through, haven't played it since.  Baldur's Gate, awesome. (Pretty much anything from what is now Bioware rocked.)

Through all of this, I was the one that always had to dissect things and figure out for myself what made something work or why it was or was not fun.  Those that know me are always telling me that I should make my own game.

I'm now a moving in on my 23rd Anniversary of marriage to a beautiful wife, father to 10 year old and 17 year old, both boys, and have gone through various lines of work, from teaching remedial grammar to handling logistics for a national company.  About 3 years ago, with no programming experience nor training, I started working for a company specializing in custom web applications and am now the lead programmer.  All self-taught, I progressed because, well, I get things done.  If I don't know how to do it.  I learn how and do it.

Also, during all of this, I became very interested in 3D art in my early twenties and learned various 3D applications.  I don't think Pixar will be sending a Headhunter team to my door anytime soon, but I can get things done.  I've investigated various engines and found most lacking for what I want to do.  Not that some were quite capable, but would have required me to re-invent the wheel or mortgage the home in order to buy it.

So I've been biding my time until the right tool came along.  I learned of HeroEngine a long time ago, but at the time, was clearly out of my reach financially and I was beginning to lean toward "re-inventing" the wheel if I had to and going with something like UDK due to the licensing structure.  Then my attention was brought back to HeroEngine and I learned of HeroCloud and I got very, very excited...

And here we are.

There's a lot I don't want to talk about in terms of my project and my intended gaming systems, but I'll try and give a spoiler free description in the project thread.

Oh, the "DragonFist" is a recurring character of mine created by me in one of the PnP RPGs that has followed me through most of my RPG gaming, PnP, computer or otherwise.
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 11, 06:27:38 PM by DragonFist »

WoE-Byron

• World Owner
  • WoE Online Project Manager
    • View Profile
    • Carbon Studios
Re: Shawn "DragonFist" Smith
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 11, 07:19:54 PM »

Shawn,

Welcome to the community, we all look forward to seeing more about your project in the future.

Fortune Favors the Strong

- Byron

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Aerendel-GDD @ Wordpress
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 11, 08:54:24 PM »

Shawn,

Good to hear from you. Sounds like we're on similar tracks here. Keep us posted. & Don't be afraid to ask questions. (I'm finding some of the tutorial stuff has something missing in their explanations, like it says "add this function to this script", but it doesn't say where. And they seem to have changed the basic definitions from "function" to "shared function" or something, and not bothered to update the tutorial to reflect that...etc.)

I think I also found that if I tried to explain exactly what I was up to nobody could quite get it, so I'm not afraid to blab away and see what kind of misunderstandings bounce back to me.

I wrote my first game in applesoft basic? with a 32k program size limit? my nephews loved it and spent hours trying to find herbs in a space that randomly generated good and bad herbs to enhance and dis-enhance their stats. The feedback and encouragement I got from them was probably worth more than I could have gotten from anybody else...

(( & Of course, I wouldn't bet that any one of us is getting much sleep since we started building like crazy here. ))

-----Jim
Head Tyrant In Charge of the Aerendel Project  ((http://aerendelgdd.wordpress.com/)) (mailto:shantivarta.dreamcat@gmail.com)  Egalitarian Partner in TaleRocker~DreamCat Creations Ltd. (Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth... Don't know the parellel universe designation...)

DragonFist

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 11, 06:15:01 PM »

Thank you, guys.

My day job is quite demanding sometimes and I find it hard to switch gears, so to speak, from one programming problem to another.  But I'm, if anything, pretty persistent.  I think something that would help most would be example code of key concepts without dependance on other systems.  The HJRef is awesome.  I'm very glad to have it.  But when you are trying to learn the more basic concepts, having all that code making calls to other things you don't get yet, etc. can make it hard to sort it all out.  That said, having working code to dissect is of great value as well.

@Jim_Wellington, there are some good explanations of the definitions of functions, etc as they apply to heroscript in the forums that helped me here.
Also, my thread has some good info:
Attempt at a walkthru

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Aerendel-GDD @ Wordpress
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 11, 02:26:37 AM »

Hey- thanks.
Head Tyrant In Charge of the Aerendel Project  ((http://aerendelgdd.wordpress.com/)) (mailto:shantivarta.dreamcat@gmail.com)  Egalitarian Partner in TaleRocker~DreamCat Creations Ltd. (Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth... Don't know the parellel universe designation...)