HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Aerendel  (Read 2150 times)

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Aerendel-GDD @ Wordpress
Aerendel
« on: Sep 08, 11, 04:02:28 AM »

Aerendel is a Principality on a planet which tiny winged Sprites have named 'Chiella' (which means beautiful skies in their old old language.)

The Principality was founded by 'Highe Elves' a husband and wife who were leading refugees from the 'Last Wars of Magick' to a 'Promised Land' they had seen in visions and dreams, where they could live in peace and grow and prosper beyond the near total devastation that was being left behind by two warring factions of the 'godlike' First Race, which had helped form and then populated the physical planets in the multiverse in this round of Creation. The first 'generation' of the First Race were all highly evolved spirits on a level with Archangels, who could create and alter their own bodies. After quite a long time, they began to create bodies for slightly less evolved spirits and slowly, the physical universe became populated with less and less highly evolved beings. The 'Wars' happened when members of the latter generations believed that members of the earliest generations were keeping information that could give them ultimate power secret. (the truth is, they couldn't grasp the higher magick and even if the 'Children of Light' handed the 'Brotherhood of Power' (aka the 'Brotherhood of Knowledge', or just the 'Brotherhood') all the 'secrets' they couldn't have used them, because they didn't have the facilities to wield the magick. ("Magic" or 'miracles' happen when the physical laws of higher dimensions are activated and used in the lower dimensions.)

Anyway- The husband and wife with their rag tag troop of all kinds of beings and their pets, livestock etc, became separated, believed their spouses dead and got mixed up with Humans (which had just emerged from wherever they came from...) These unions produced two sons, born on the same day, several thousand miles apart. Both human spouses died in battles as the refugees continued their journeys and met up where a fleet of sailing ships had gathered, captained by Elves and Mer who followed their dreams. They then followed dolphins, flying unicorns and visions to an island where they raced up the central mountain and hid in a cave while world changing storms raged outside and the Final Battle in the Last Wars of Magick raged on several planets in several dimensions and convinced the Brotherhood that they would be totally obliterated if they ever tried to win their war with armies and frontal attacks and convinced the Children of Light that they had to keep tabs on the Physical Universe, where almost none of them wanted to continue to live, because life here had become much too painful.

When the battle ended and the storms cleared, the survivors (almost none of the refugees had died) emerged to find their island had risen slightly, was now quite a bit larger than it had been and was also connected to a mainland they hadn't had time to realize was there before. One of the strongest of the 'guiding spirits' who'd led them to the island revealed that there was an 'Anomaly' deep within the cave they had sought shelter in, and the anomaly, which had been created by benevolent, protective members of the First Race who had no use for war, but had wanted to make sure the population of the worlds survived. Somehow, the anomaly had become sentient and was granting humans and others who stumbled inside its borders wishes and had 'created' several races with wings and features of animals and elves and had sub-divided itself into several sub-dimensions which we now know as the 'Faery Kingdoms' where physical beings we now call 'Dryads' and 'Satyrs','Faer Elves' who routinely change into cats and run around chasing mice etc; and 'Dhalggers' Dog-faced Elvish creatures who can become entirely elvish (or human) or entirely dog-ish (Not werewolves).

((( I have either 26 or 28 races that I want to feature here. Some may emerge after its original launch.)))

That was several hundred years ago and the two 'princes' with very different appearances and very different attitudes now share the duties of presiding over their nation that accepts refugees from any race, any occupation, any disposition, and tries to see that everyone has a place in their society. For instance: Pirates are encouraged to call themselves Privateers and are allowed to ply their profession as long as they also agree to protect the peace loving citizens of Aerendel. (In the Pirates' main city newcomers are routinely offered the position of Mayor, before they realize that the three bodies they see swinging from gallows around the square are the last three mayors and a mayor's life expectancy is less than twenty four hours...)

I better quit here and add more in another post.

(( The world and the game have been trying to write themselves through me for twenty years now. I completed 4 novels in rough form set in this universe, one of them a Nanowrimo (National Novel Writing Month) project. I probably started a dozen more. This world will not go away unfinished. ))
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 11, 04:11:55 AM by Jim_Wellington »
Head Tyrant In Charge of the Aerendel Project  ((http://aerendelgdd.wordpress.com/)) (mailto:shantivarta.dreamcat@gmail.com)  Egalitarian Partner in TaleRocker~DreamCat Creations Ltd. (Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth... Don't know the parellel universe designation...)

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Aerendel
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 11, 06:21:32 AM »

Maybe this should have been the first post in this topic:

What we're doing here is building a game world that can can be enjoyed by a wide range of people with very different tastes and expectations.

I see no need to "dumb down" anything.

We believe a Free to Play option should give every one a decent experience and not brand anyone as a cheap, second class citizen. Creative players who can't afford a premium option should be given an opportunity to earn a premium account.

A highest level veteran character should not have a zillion and a half health points and a newbie only ten.

Players who don't want to play PvP will not be penalized, and can have 'divine protection', so a rabid PK-er could exhaust himself (herself?) and maybe not realize the person they're attacking won't fight back.  A peace-nik should be able to blow sleep dust (that will not be available to PvP types) in the face of a killer (only if the killer is attacking the NPvP character), strip their weapons away, pack them in a duffel bag or on a cart, and walk away passively. (I'm working on ways to implement this while discouraging abuse, as in somebody who thinks they can be a non-PvP character, develop really high skill levels and then start attacking other players will learn that their 100% defense bonus has vanished, become 0%, way below the defense bonus of any PvP player, and their wonderful skills against npcs do not translate to PvP styles very well.) ((PvP players will be able to adjust their defense/attack strategies in ways that non PvP characters will have no knowledge of or ability in.)) Many PvP weapons will not be usable by peaceniks.

Maybe a couple levels of 'premium' options should give subscribers more character slots; access to player races that shouldn't be free; access to a greater ability to teleport around the world; 'free' access to spells and nuances that freeplay players have to earn through quests or some kind of service to the game; and the ability to either build their own homes or commission builder characters to build one to their specs.

=----> <----=

The Hack 'N' Slashers will have their own areas, their own GMs, their own quests and their own say in how things develop in their areas.

Role Playing Purists will have their areas and their own say in how life develops there.

People who couldn't care less about any kind of purism will be able to 'live' where nobody cares whether they can speak in purple prose or curtsey just right in the presence of 'royalty'.

If regular chat isn't good enough for subscribers I may try to implement private chat channels (hopefully log-abled) or encourage them to use AIM or similar Instant Messaging, or even Skype. If anybody else comes up with a better idea for voice chat that works and doesn't take so much bandwidth that the game suffers, I hope they would share their ideas and tell us how to do it.

People who want to contribute and design clothing, new hair-do's, housing, weapons, create spells nobody's thought of yet, etc, will be able to hang out, earn premium accounts, & if we know we can absolutely trust them, they may even be allowed to turn invisible and go see how their work is being used.

=----> <----=

Practically?

"Shamrock Island" is several miles south of Aerendel Proper. The surrounding waters are patrolled by Aerendel's Official Navy on Man-of-War type ships with Marines aboard, and they have a not-quite-entirely-trusting relationship with several Privateers who also patrol those waters. It is rumoured that a Mer city, inside a crystal sphere, is submerged somewhere between Shamrock Island and Aerendel's main island/main land (Mer breathe air, can remain submerged for about an hour between gulps of air).

Shamrock Island is roughly shaped like a three leaf shamrock with a stem of mountains protecting its harbor. It would be the port where immigrants would first land on Aerendelian soil. There is a museum there with statues representing 'the sentient races of Aerendel'. NPC representatives of those races, recruiters for all the guilds and representatives of all the religions available will hang out near or inside the museum. There will be a tavern/inn near the docks where ships will come and go. There should be some sleazy characters trying to raid the warehouses and constables recruiting help in rounding up those npc characters (and free bounty hunter licenses that will come in handy if the characters move on to Birken, the port on Aerendel's south coast. There should be some rats and other pests. There will be some 'metal demons' for those who choose not to attack anything that looks like it might be alive. There will be some newbie quests, like 'find the old coblestone road to North Shamrock'. 'Find the caves', 'deliver a message to a captain at the training grounds', etc.

I have pretty much built most of Shamrock Island already. It turned out to be larger than I thought it would be. I still need to seamlessly stitch it together.  -I have one more area to finish. (The west leaf, where the "Hive" is, with its catacomb tunnels full of newbie bad guys exists beneath a desert where nothing grows. ((rumours are that a nasty nasty battle was fought on the surface during the Last Wars of Magick. And the resulting curse has left the area impossible to live in.))  The Hive's existence is supposed to be a secret to the 'respectable','good' races.) (Gremlins, Ghardra (my version of goblins), Drax (reptilians, which can be anything from law abiding, peace loving philosophers, poets, musicians, etc; to hate mongering mad killers of anything that isn't reptilian.), Sectoids (a small minority of Sectoids are happy to live in peace with non sectoid individuals), and renegades from almost any other race will begin their in-game life in the Hive. People inside the Hive know their enemies are free to run around the island outside the hive and guards kill anyone who looks like they might be contemplating escape, because the escapees just might be spies or might give away their secret location, & let their enemies find out where the Hive is.

I have two versions of the north 'leaf' of the island, both with a slightly different version of the newbie friendly cave from the heights to the 'beach' at the base of the cliffs. One version is supposedly inside the Anomaly and would be a part of the "Faer Kingdoms", has brighter coloured mountains and grasslands and magickally charged minerals that all kinds of miners would love to get their hands on... The other version is firmly grounded in the 'real world' with realistic topography and pretty much normal coloured rocks and stuff. Characters wishing to find the 'parallel world' need to complete a quest before a secretive elf will show them a secret portal to the "Faer Kingdoms".

If I realize that I left out something important, I'll edit that in later.

I probably have more to explain here....

~~~~~Jim
Head Tyrant In Charge of the Aerendel Project  ((http://aerendelgdd.wordpress.com/)) (mailto:shantivarta.dreamcat@gmail.com)  Egalitarian Partner in TaleRocker~DreamCat Creations Ltd. (Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth... Don't know the parellel universe designation...)

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Aerendel : before and after using erosion tools
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 11, 07:13:46 AM »

Saturday, 10 September, 2011 12˚C / 54˚F @ 8:07 am here outside Ottawa.

Some of the screen shots I uploaded into the "Introduce Yourself" Category might have been more appropriate here.

I did say I was impressed with the erosion tools. Here are examples: (Probably one one screen shot per post- and I don't know how Cooper gets them more like full size here. that may be an option he has that we don't get... If you really want to see them full size ((600x290(+) pixels)) you have to click on them and tell them to open.)

-----Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 11, 07:17:04 AM »

This is the "After" shot.

-----Jim

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Aerendel (I found Free Mapping Software)
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 11, 12:22:55 PM »

Yup, 10 September, 2011, 18˚C/65˚F @ 1:19 pm EDST

The following was hastily drawn using AutoREALM software from SourceForge. Free Software that actually was free. There were a couple other top hits in a google search for "Free Fantasy Map Makers" that turned out to be about $40 (U$) each, and they looked interesting, but ya can't argue with free.

-----Jim

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 11, 03:23:55 AM »

The big map and some of the background.

The domed underwater Mer city I was calling 'Kelpah" [(Help!) might be Dun Dúlamán (Seaweed Fortification/Castle?) if I can't come up with something better] The domed city is in a mysteriously becalmed sea. (Wind currents, probably not magic or any kind of curse or anything, but you know how superstitious pirates are.... ;) )This area is North of Shamrock Island. No self respecting Sea Captains go any near that area if they can help it.

The "Privateer"/Pirate port of Freeport is North and a bit to the East of the Mer city. Here the winds are highly unpredictable and the natural fortifications of "McCorkindale's Island" make the port pretty much impregnable. It takes expert navigation to get past the rocky islands and reefs  all around the secretly 'safe' navigation zone.

Birken is the main port on the 'mainland' of Aerendel. It's not quite as wild and wooly as Freeport. But pirates are welcome there as long as they haven't attacked anybody flying a flag that proves they are friendly toward Aerendel. Constables and guards in Birken are the private army of the Harbourmaster and he's a greedy S.O.B. (He's afraid of the Megrorys and their Tavern is off limits to corrupt guards and constables. ((Megrory's Tavern is rumoured to be protected by Faer Elf Wizards who love to cast spells that leave constables and guards believing their private parts have been burned off and gives them irresistible urges to wear frilly feminine corsets while on duty.)) (& their cast off armour fetches good prices at the local 'Faer Market' which is also protected by Faeromancy to the degree that Anyone who wants to interfere with Faer Trade can't find the magicked portals to the market at all. (( It is a very good idea for anybody new to Birken to pay the high prices for Bounty Hunters' Licenses because the constables and guards will accuse anybody without one of breaking the law and toss them right in the lockup with a host of crazed prisoners who drool over the chance of catching you  asleep.))

Almost straight up the hill from Birken (through the forest, past military outposts, besides the river with its many cascading waterfalls) is the city of Aerendel with its castle and embassies and markets, schools, temples, guild headquarters, political intrigue and all that.

East of Birken is an Ursan fishing village. On hot days most of the Ursan men can be found happily sitting in the cool waters, not doing much, possibly trading jokes and singing raunchy songs to each other while their women gather in small groups to discuss lofty subjects like, 'how do we get the lazy sonofaguns to actually take out the garbage' or maybe trade the latest wild magick spells, some of which have actually been known to get the Ursan males to pick up their own dirty clothes, maybe even do the cleaning... Many Ursan males are proud of their building skills and ideas and can be tricked into becoming productive by anyone who approaches them with questions about how their favourite housing design innovations could actually be implemented.

West of Birken is Three Rivers (one river is underground). Three Rivers has the dubious distinction of being near a haunted forest where Nasty creatures from the dark side and soldiers of the Krim Alliance emerge and attack anyone and anything in sight. The city is a fortress with a mixture of Human, Forest Elf, Half Elf and 'other' citizens, especially Rangers, who protect its immediate surroundings and often venture off beyond safety to try to close down the dark portals to the places that crazy old aunts and grandmothers describe in lurid detail to scare the living bejeezles out of children.

It is rumoured that the heavily guarded underground city of "Ymmperia" is somewhere west of Three Rivers. Ymmps seem to venture forth from that area, but none of them will tell anybody where their fabled city actually is, which many non-Ymmps find strange, because Ymmps love to brag and show off. I guess there are some things that they actually take seriously, though.

There is an area that is the domain of 'friendly' Dark Elves. Roving bands of nomadic dark elves enjoy the freedom of going anywhere they want, any time they want after centuries (maybe longer) of slavery to the Krim.  (The "Krim" are an 'alliance' of Ghardra, Sectoids and Drax who have sworn to push the 'Elves and their pale skinned relatives' into the sea, or into a volcano if they can find one. Renegades from many other races are tolerated. Rock Trolls are sometimes used to terrorize their enemies. Gremlins aren't interested in furthering any body else's agendas-) The Dark Elves guard their lands fiercely and may not actually trust any outsiders, with the exception of the Khatzen, who they honour as their liberators.

Closer to Aerendel from the Dark Elf Lands is Hidden Valley, the Ottarian settlement that is hidden behind a tunnel beneath a waterfall somewhere. The housing was all chiseled out of solid stone by Delvahrians after an 'army' of Ottarians saved the Delvahrian race in a crucial battle against the Krim Alliance. ((Delvahrians believe the Ottarian Race is incapable of hard work and maybe can't even concentrate well enough to plan anything. The homes in this valley are tributes to Delvahrian ingenuity, with indoor plumbing, running water, secret escape tunnels in case of siege...))

The Faaxen Lands are North East of the Dark Elf Lands. {It is best to travel through the Dark Elf Lands with a Dark Elf Caravan, (keep all your valuables hidden or pay them enough to make it worth their wile, but not so much that they believe you're ripe for the picking) or go around...} Most Faaxen towns are very well fortified and have an intricate network of tunnels below ground that connect most homes with caches of weapons and escape tunnels to highly defendable positions, often in the hills and cliffsides around their towns and villages.

The vast Majority of Forest Elves live in the deep forests north of Hidden Valley. These forests are also populated by many creatures from the Faer Kingdoms and this fact helps keep the Krim at bey- Most Krim are terrified of Faeromancy (They'd rather be killed outright than face the idea of living the rest of their lives wearing inappropriate clothing and kissing anyone of the 'wrong' sex.)

Khatzen Lands are in the extreme North West. Near where the mountainous Isthmus of Chiella connects Aerendel with the Mainland. North and East of the Khatzen Lands(beyond a mountain range) is a 'Wasted Wilderness' that has seen roaming bands of Krim who routinely burn vast sections of the forest up there. (Some say they can't stand the sight of happy living things, some say they're afraid that tree dwelling sprites can hide in the branches and unleash strong light-based spells which destroy the 'integrity' and discipline of their fearful slave armies.)

North of the city of Aerendel and a bit to the east is the 'Highe Elf' City of Cerulena. Cerulena is a Centre of Learning with many institutions of higher studies.

South and East from Cerulena are the Cliffs of the Qaeglan Aeries. The winged Qaeglans saw the cliffs and immediately knew that's where they wanted to make their 'temporary homes' when the Princes of Aerendel welcomed them to settle here after they'd been driven from their home world by Sectoids (after the Qaeglans had welcomed the 'homeless' Sectoids into their territories) The Aeries 'looked like home' to them.

"Sprite Lands" are the thriving old growth forests from Aerendel to the Ursan Territory to the East, North-East to the Aeries and North to Cerulena.

"Delvahria" is a series of mines between Cerulena and the Wasted Wilderness of the North East. The area is rich with minerals, including Gold, Silver, and many magical crystals. The Delvahrians are constantly on guard against the Krim, whose tunnels sometimes connect with Delvahria. They are also quite often chagrinned to discover their mines connect to 'incomprehensible' stretches of the Faer Kingdoms. ("It just isn't right that they should have sun shining a hundred meters underground!")

Just beyond the horizon to the south west of what might be 'Ymmperia' lies an Island where 'modern' Aerendelians first made contact with the Mer after bad blood between the Mer and a Half Elven 'King' from a distant kingdom had led to the Mer Ruler's sealing off the Domed City, forbidding any of his subjects to go beyond its confines.

The Mer had actually become a 'Rumoured Race' since nobody had seen any (that they knew were Mer) for hundreds of years. But Mer from settlements all around the planet hurried to Aerendel's defense when a particularly strong and nasty Ghardran Arch Mage pulled together an immense army of Krim warriors and nearly overran the principality. Mer Island became the birthplace of the "Free Mer Republic" which immediately formed strong bonds of mutual defense with the Principality of Aerendel.

WoE-Byron

• World Owner
  • WoE Online Project Manager
    • View Profile
    • Carbon Studios
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 11, 10:03:28 PM »

Its pretty wordy Jim however I did manage to finally read it and it looks good.

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 11, 08:00:08 PM »

Re WoE Byron,

Thanks, I can always use the feedback.

---------Jim

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Aerendel (We saw a 'Psychic' Saturday.)
« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 11, 01:01:10 AM »

There was a local Health and well-being show at a local community centre up here (yeah, they spell things differently in Canada).

I went there sort of half officially in my day job capacity to see if there was anything going on that we should cover at the local community access cable teevee station.

& while we were there, both DreamCat and I had "readings" with a 'psychic' who teaches how to use pendulums and bent divining rods (to find water and stuff like that).

I asked how this project might do.

He gazed off through the ozone and said I had to be really careful about how it is presented when it goes public, because that could make or break the project. And he continued to stare away, then looked surprised and excited and said, "This could take off and be something much larger than you imagine." -And reiterated that I had to be very careful about how it is presented/advertized, described when it goes public.

---hmmmm-

--------- Sounds good to me....

~~~~~Jim
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 11, 01:02:45 AM by Jim_Wellington »