HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Clearing repobrowser  (Read 1196 times)

PoulMarar

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • The Zombie Theory
[Resolved] Clearing repobrowser
« on: Sep 10, 11, 08:36:38 AM »

Hi. I need some help. Can i delete all stuff from /HE root derictory? if no? what structure of directories must be in root ?
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 01:39:51 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Clearing repobrowser
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 11, 08:59:31 AM »

The good rule of thumb is don't delete anything unless you know what it does. HE is your root directory, and you're creating sub directories under it.

PoulMarar

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • The Zombie Theory
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 11, 09:08:58 AM »

Yes. But it's hard to find out something on wiki. We just want to start from clean engine (but with back up of all scripts) , but it is hemoroid to find out where is the beggining and end of things if you don't have full access to code or it's structure. Or if you are not the developer of engine =).

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 11, 09:32:52 AM »

The scripts, assets, and content supplied in the default directory structure of the repository are fully integrated to make the basic engine work properly and provide you structure to build on.

A good example is the basic avatar and character controller setup which is built on clean engine, but if you delete those files outright, how do you login or see your character?

If you can help the folks here understand what you're trying to accomplish, or what you can't find on the wiki, that's a probably a great place to start

Cheers
herb marselas
graphics guy

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 11, 10:29:48 AM »

We just want to start from clean engine
It is my understanding that what you start out with in terms of assets and scripts is the Clean Engine, with only a few modifications.

This following is all based on my studying of the code and wiki; I could be mistaken and the HE programmers can correct me if needed:

All classes and scripts that begin with just an underscore collectively constitute the Clean Engine (though there may be others also considered part of it, too).  You'll find many methods that attempt to call versions of themselves with "HE_" on the front if those exist. Thus, the base methods are easily overridden by adding HE_ methods either via inheritance or glomming.

Then there are some scripts and classes that begin with "E_".  I believe they are the modifications done to make the Evaluation (sandbox) world that you see in "Fantasy Lowlands", with the Monkeytoks and so forth.  They take large advantage of the HE_ overrides and thus represent one hypothetical way to customize the engine, which can be kept or gotten rid of.

So, I suppose the pure Clean Engine would be without those classes/scripts.  However, they do provide some potentially useful features, and so like Cooper said, you should consider removing things only after you know you don't want/need them.

Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 11, 11:08:53 AM »

That is correct.

If we gave you a completely clean engine, you would have to know what you needed to do and then do a lot of stuff before you did anything.

It's better to start with a functional existence proof, learn how things work, then modify or migrate existing systems, or build new systems in parallel and switch over.

Cheers

herb marselas
graphics guy