HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: How to get a job in the video game industry!  (Read 1669 times)

BigDogGameStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
How to get a job in the video game industry!
« on: Sep 13, 11, 12:02:14 PM »

Directly from the co-founders of Bioware, tips for aspiring game designers:

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/55155/how-to-get-a-job-in-videogames-the-doctors-from-bioware/

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: How to get a job in the video game industry!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 11, 01:23:32 PM »

I will provide my own TL:DR version on becoming a Game Designer which has nothing to do with that article. :-)

In order of recommendation:
Make your own game with your own engineering and art.
Make your own game with other engineers and artists.
Learn to code and paint and make your own game.
Join a QA department at a game dev studio.
Join a Customer service department at a game dev studio.
Get an MA in game design from one of the few respected schools and hope there is a studio interested in hiring you instead of promoting one of its QA or CS members. This tends to go in cycles at various studios.

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: How to get a job in the video game industry!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 11, 09:43:40 PM »

Depends on how big the company is and the level of developers they currently have versus your submission. My friend works at Sony down here in San Diego. Every time I ask him what's up with a job he tells "we just hired a surface modeller from ILM", "we just got this guy from (insert your uber company here)". Since then I have realized I am an "OK" artist, easy to see that when I go to the Zbrush forums, so I am not living a dream. Bottom line is their are guys out their that I can't compete with. But... if our game takes off and I am "Lead Artist", then I will be able to get a job much easier in the future, even if I can't make uber zbrush models. If you do not have a high level of skill and experience chances are the guy with the better portfolio or experience will get the job. No one cares about your effort or what school you went to, if your work or resume is stunning you will get hired. No one is going to give a newbie a chance when their are 1000s of qualified candidates in that field who can come in and make them look good. Basically you have to earn yours in today's industry, move up the ladder.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 11, 10:06:18 PM by info360covers »