HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Art tools  (Read 4943 times)

BigDogGameStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Art tools
« on: Sep 19, 11, 02:23:09 AM »

So for those who do concept art and 3d modeling.. or just concept art, how many of you use a tablet? I'm digging this new Wacom tablet I have, and honestly it was not as big a pain as I thought it was going to be to go from paper to tablet. Easier in all actuality.

Rissa2002

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Art tools
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 11, 02:16:25 PM »

our team artist got one a few months back he luvs it ;) also a Wacom btw.

Architect

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 11, 07:24:04 PM »

I was thinking about ordering one from Best Buy online last week. Which one did you get?

Have you tried to use it for in World Editing by chance?

Taschenmogul

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 11, 08:00:37 PM »

Btw. - there now seems to be some competition in the market with half a handful of other companies selling tablets with battery-less pens (e.g. Hanvon and Perixx). Meaning that you can get such a tablet for about half the price of an original Wacom now.

And yes, using a tablet for CGI can be a revelation.
Texture-painting and sculpting for 3D, drawing and painting for concept art or final art; whichever you do is tremendously more easy with a tablet.
Ok, simple sketching still is more easy when simply using pen and paper, but a tablet enables you (and me) to use techniques that are practically impossible to do without.
Say you´re not good at perspective drawing (I´m not), then you can simply sketch out initial forms, then decide on one and use whichever 3D package you´re proficient in, quickly model your scene, pick a perspective, render, then take your tablet and draw over that rendering. Works like a charm.

Other thing is mistakes.
Those who know Bob Ross know that "there are no mistakes", just tiny little accidents, or so.
In reality there are quite a lot mistakes that you will make, and saving to different files for backup, using several layers in your application, or even simply being able to zoom in and use a perfect eraser to remove or tone down whatever you don´t like in your drawing takes away the stress that Bob Ross tried to take away from you by motivating you to use your mistakes as chances and to not be overcritical.

One of the downsides is that you won´t be able to use a huge amount of other techniques and therefore looks.
When talking about correcting mistakes, watercolor paintings really are a pain.
Some techniques to remove paint from your watercolor painting use scratching it off with a razor blade or using sandpaper to remove unwanted paint; after the painting has dried.
In comparison removing "paint" in a digital drawing is laughably more easy - no software known to man (well, at least known to me) however will achieve the organic look of a watercolor painting, even though some offer watercolor tools.

When it comes to average games however this doesn´t pose a problem at all, and I would even go as far as to say that you can´t practically go without a tablet when designing (for) an average computer game today.

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 11, 09:51:42 PM »

wacom is a must when creating nextgen assets. shouldn't this be in general discussion?
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 11, 09:54:04 PM by info360covers »

BigDogGameStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 11, 12:01:18 AM »

I was thinking about ordering one from Best Buy online last week. Which one did you get?

Have you tried to use it for in World Editing by chance?

I got the Wacom Intuos 4.... I honestly thought that it would be a huge pain to switch from paper to tablet but it wasn't at all.

@Tasch - I agree with your points, most of it is basic art in general. As far as my Wacom goes, I got it as part of my tuition so i'm stoked lol.... it opens up new avenues I had yet to explore and I love it.

@info - Ya it probably should... it was an art question (granted more equipment than art) so I put it in the art forum :)

DragonFist

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 11, 12:56:10 AM »

I've had a wacom for some time.  However, the problem with it is that it makes me really wish I had a cintiq.

Can't, at this time justify 2K+ toy like that but the more I use my Intuos, the more I want one.

PoulMarar

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • The Zombie Theory
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 11, 03:04:44 AM »

Using my bamboo for 5 years. Greate stuff for dp and 3d sculpting. Now im planing to buy cintiq or make it by myself =)))

Roland

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 11, 12:14:03 PM »

Does anyone know if the terrain tools and/or SpeedTree tools in HeroBlade support the use of a Wacom tablet? Also, anyone with experience using a 3D mouse (Space Explorer/Pilot) in HeroCloud.

DragonFist

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 11, 12:39:37 PM »

I have a space pilot.  I haven't tried it in HB yet as I haven't been working that end.  However, the beta drivers should allow its use in HB without direct support within HB.

PoulMarar

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • The Zombie Theory
« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 11, 01:20:31 PM »

Roland what do you mean support HE tools. It's working good in HE coz you dont need the stuff like pressure. So relax and buy wacom bamboo/intuos and have fun.