HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved| Brand New User, MMORPG, pairing with Unity questions?  (Read 4060 times)

axslayer33

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

Hi there, I am brand new to the video game design field, and I came across this product on the Unity forums.

I'm part of a group formed by a fellow high school student. We're trying to design a MMORPG based on various high-school themed animes. The basic idea is that it's your average RPG (summoners, PVP, etc) set in and around a high school. We're striving for it to be 2D anime graphics, with the out of combat view being one similar to a Visual Novel. Now, over on the Unity board, I was told that although an MMORPG is, in the bluntest of terms, an insane project for new people like us to design, I was given some tools to help with this, along with design help in unity (which none of us has used before). First off-What exactly is HeroEngine? Is it a server, or a gaming engine like RuneTek5 (the engine behind Runescape)? Can it be paired with Unity? Would it make logical sense to use this with SmartFoxServer (which if I'm reading it's site right is a hosting service)? Can we make this a free game? And finally, are we out of our minds for doing this? (don't answer that last question we already know...... ;) )
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 12, 10:48:06 PM by HE-Cooper »

WoE-Byron

• World Owner
  • WoE Online Project Manager
    • View Profile
    • Carbon Studios
Re: Brand New User, MMORPG, pairing with Unity questions?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 11, 10:40:16 AM »

First off-What exactly is HeroEngine? Is it a server, or a gaming engine like RuneTek5 (the engine behind Runescape)?
HeroEngine is a all in one MMORPG Solution:

Hero Engine Information:
heroblade-all-in-one-development-environment
FAQ
Licensing

Can it be paired with Unity? Would it make logical sense to use this with SmartFoxServer (which if I'm reading it's site right is a hosting service)?
The answer to all this is a simple no.

Can we make this a free game?
Yes and no, Please read the license agreement above. MMORPG Games cost money to host and maintain so you need to devise a way to generate income. Many games who wish to be Free to Download and Free to Play are using Micro-transaction style mechanics.

And finally, are we out of our minds for doing this? (don't answer that last question we already know...... ;) )
Only if you do not know what Scope Creep is.
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 11, 10:50:22 AM by WoE-Byron »

BigDogGameStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 11, 01:36:33 AM »

Only if you do not know what Scope Creep is.

^That was actually pretty funny lol

WoE-Byron

• World Owner
  • WoE Online Project Manager
    • View Profile
    • Carbon Studios
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 11, 03:48:59 PM »

May be funny but it is very true.

Sheano

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 11, 01:48:21 AM »

Can we make this a free game?
Yes and no, Please read the license agreement above. MMORPG Games cost money to host and maintain so you need to devise a way to generate income. Many games who wish to be Free to Download and Free to Play are using Micro-transaction style mechanics.

Hmmm i think u can go with a complete free version if u want ... i found this:

What if I want to build a free game?  Do I still owe you a royalty?
-Yes… but since 30% of $0 is $0, it’s not going to be an issue.  We’re still covering the operational costs of hosting and bandwidth regardless of whether your game makes money.
found on :Hero F.A.Q.

DragonFist

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 11, 02:05:35 AM »

I think you'll find there are some later posts on that.  Anyhow, if you make a game that has 1million players eating up a sizable chunk of server space and making no money, I think it would be a little unreasonable to expect HeroCloud to front the entire bill for all time.

I could be wrong here but I'd expect to work things out along that line in terms of costs.

Sheano

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 11, 02:16:26 AM »

That could be true, but then it should be updated in F.A.Q. on their homepage.
And on the other hand i think if someone gets 1 million players he would start to implement a little micropayment shop into the game which has no great effect items but is good enough to be used. ^^

DragonFist

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 11, 02:31:08 AM »

* We pay for all the operating costs, but beyond the initial testing and launch window for you game if you wish to grow your game or keep your game at a distribution level beyond what our share of the revenue can cover, then you would either need to scale your game back, or cover the costs yourself.

The above is from the "Answers to all your questions" thread in "Start Here".

Anyhow, I don't disagree Sheano.  Just didn't want anyone getting the idea that the operational costs wouldn't have to be covered somehow.  Clearly, the HE crew plans to work with any project to come up with a workable solution for any game and I can't think of a better deal anyone could get.

I definitely think the F.A.Q. should updated to reflect the above.